Database Fun (Continued)

So, after all of the fun I had with creating that lifecycle management system, which I had reports, forms, and all sorts of fun little queries for, my system crashed with everything on it.  Luckily I was able to recover a lot, but not quite so for that database.  In another stroke of luck, I was told the next day that they only needed 15 items which they wanted tracked using excel.  Got to love how they are very clear in the beginning.  Either way, it was a fun exercise where I learned a lot about Access and database programming in general.

Anyways, life has moved on as usual.  I did rediscover my old pokemon collection.  I’ve been going through them with my wife trying to organize them.  They were mostly in 2 boxes, so we have to sort through them.

To aid in the process, and at least this is guarenteed to be used, I have been making a database which will store which pokemon I own as compared to what there is.  There is a lot of fields which could be normalized, but really right now I don’t need normalized, I need something which is easy to input into as raw data.  This seems to be working real well, especially since I was able to just copy and paste most of the raw data into it.

I have it set up with 3 tables.  The first one is the list of all of the Sets, the second one is a list of all of the cards located in each of the sets, and the last one is just a list of cards I own.  The set list is literally just the names and an ID.  The cards in the sets have informaiton such as the type, name, set number, card number, rarity and type.  The last table has only a few columns.  Number Owned, Card Condition, Condition Notes, and First Edition.  Most of the fields automatically fill in appropriately and the Card Condition is always one of a few conditions, but I left it open to put other things in there too.  As I said, it could be normalized, but what I have works very nicely.

The end result is that I can open the Set List table and expand a set to see every card in the set.  I can then expand a particular card and type how many of what condition I have of that card.  It is very readable and organized.

The last thing Id id with it was to create a report which I can make into a PDF when it is all said and done.  I am thinking about making a check box or something.  The report groups the pokemon cards by set, but I plan to make it also group it by type, energy and by pokemon number eventually.  Well I have to be off to bed.

What I learned today:  The Stats_Mode() function in an oracle database will return the most used number or the Mode of a column.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s